Where my friends are, or how to share your location in the Google Maps app
The Google Maps mobile app includes a feature that allows you to share your location with your friends, a feature familiar to Apple users through the Find Your Friends app. With the help of “Google Maps” owners of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch can share data about where they are, choose who can see their location, hide the location marks of other people, etc.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you share your location information with friends and family on Google Maps in real time.
What is location sharing in the Google Maps mobile app
In order to use this feature, you must have the latest version of Google Maps installed on your device. You must also enable the Google Location History.
To do this, go to Settings → Privacy → Geolocation Services → Google Maps, and select “Always”. By doing this you will give Google Maps permanent access to your geolocation data.
Keep in mind that you can only share your location data in the mobile version, not in the desktop version of Google Maps. The desktop app only allows you to see your friends’ locations on a map.
The feature of sharing your location will allow you to:
- Communicate your location directly to any Google account holder;
- Use a link to share your location with users who don’t have a Google Account;
- Set a time period you want your friends and family to track your progress;
- Choose who can see your movements;
- Follow the movements of your friends and family;
- Temporarily hide the locations of your friends and family from your maps and vice versa;
- Don’t show your location to one or more people;
- Hide permanently from your maps the locations of other users.
Users with whom you intend to share your location will see
- Your name;
- Your photo;
- Your location, changing in real time.
Your location data may include the following information:
- Recently visited places;
- What you were doing (walking or driving);
- Your device’s battery level and whether you have a GPS connection;
- Where you are (at home or at work).
How to share your location in the Google Maps app on your iPhone or iPad
On your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, you can share your location in real time, choose who sees your location and for how long, and more. Google account holders will be able to see your location data directly, and those who don’t have a Google account will be able to receive it via a link.
- Launch the Google Maps app;
- Tap the menu icon in the upper left corner;
- Select the “Transfer Geodata” option on the side menu.
- When you activate the feature for the first time, you may see a pop-up screen telling you to turn on Geolocation services. In this case, simply click on “Settings” and select “Always” when setting up geolocation services in the Google Maps app;
- Use “+” and “-” to set a period of time to display your location.
- You can share your location in real time for up to 72 hours, and then this function will automatically turn off. If you want your movement data to be displayed for longer, select the “Until Off” option. Remember to move the switch back if you change your mind about showing where you are all the time;
- Select the way you want to let your loved ones know about your movements:
- – SMS – loved ones will receive your location as a link for iMessage or texting;
- – Other – choose the service you want your loved ones to get the link from (Google+, Facebook, Twitter, etc.). If you want to share your location with a nearby Apple device, choose AirDrop;
Select with whom you want to share your location data:
– Users who have a Google account – tap “Select Contacts,” select the person you want, and tap “Share.” A notification may appear that you need to give Google Maps access to Contacts. If you haven’t already done so, add the Gmail addresses of the users you want to share your location with to the Contacts iOS app;
– Users who don’t have a Google account – To share location data with users who don’t have a Google account, select one of the services available, such as Messages or Mail, to create a link that they can open in their browser or in the Google Maps app.
– The people you select will see that you’re providing them with information about their movements. What’s more, they’ll get a notification on their lock screen. Optionally, your chosen users can also share their location with you.
How to stop sharing your location in the Google Maps app on your iPhone or iPad
If you don’t want anyone following your movements, follow the instructions:
Open Google Maps;
Tap the “Menu” icon in the upper-right corner of the screen;
Select the “Transfer Geodata” option on the side menu;
Tap the card of the person from whom you want to hide your location (see screenshot below) and tap “Close Access” → “Done”.
If you want to hide your location from several people at once, the fastest way to do this is to click “More” in the upper right corner of the screen (the three vertical dots icon) and select “Settings” in the pop-up menu.
A full list of users with whom you share your location data will open. Just click on the cross next to the people you want, and they will no longer see where you are.
How to find out the location of a friend (wife, relative, acquaintance, etc.)
If someone chooses to share their location with you, you’ll see where they are in real time on a map on a desktop computer or in Google Maps on an iOS device.
On a desktop computer:
On your Mac, you can see other users’ locations, but you can’t share yours. So others can see where you are, too, use the Google Maps iOS app. To check your friends’ locations on your Mac:
Go to maps.google.com in the browser on your computer and click on the “Menu” button in the upper left corner of the screen near the search bar;
¬¬¬¬ On the side menu, select “Transfer Geodata. A list of friends who have shared their location with you will appear.
On your mobile device:
On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can not only see in real time where your friends are, but also let them know where you are yourself.
1. Open the Google Maps app;
2. Tap the “Menu” button located in the upper right corner of the screen;
3. 3. From the side menu, select “Transmit Geodata;
4. Tap the icon of the person whose location you want to know.
5. In the menu that appears at the bottom of the screen, tap the “More” button in the form of three vertical dots and tap “
How to stop seeing a person’s location
If you no longer want to see a specific person’s location on the map, follow the instructions:
Open the Google Maps app. 2;
2. 2. Tap the “Menu” button in the upper-right corner of the screen;
3. On the side menu, select “Transmit geodata”;
4. Tap the user icon at the top of the screen;
5. Tap the “More” button in the form of three vertical dots in the upper right corner of the user menu and select “Hide: Name”.
You will now temporarily not see the person’s location on the map.
How to see a person’s location again
If you want to see the location of the person you hid from the map again, follow the instructions:
1. Open the Google Maps app;
2. Press the “Menu” button located in the upper right corner of the screen;
3. On the side menu, select “Transmit geodata”;
4. Tap the “More” button in the form of three vertical dots in the top right corner of the menu and select the “Hidden on the map users” option;
5. Click on the three-dot icon next to the desired contact and select “Show on map”.
Tip: If you want to permanently remove the person from the map, use the lock function. The lock feature is available in Google+, Hangouts, YouTube, and Google Photos.
To see blocked users or unblock a specific person, go to “Blocked Users” in “Personal Information” (myaccount.google.com/blocklist).